Tuesday, January 28, 2014

BOBBEE BEE: RICHARD SHERMAN IS EGO TRIPPIN'

by Eric D.Graham
NORTH CAROLINA-(BASN)-This Seattle Seahawks Richard Sherman end-of-the game rant after his game-winning defensive deflection over the 49ers (WR) Michael Crabtree is another example of white America’s “fear” & “misinterpretation” of Black male aggression-as being a sign of anger and rage instead of passion and competitive spirit.
We have already discussed this issue before when the media falsely crucified the Dallas Cowboys’ WR Dez Bryant earlier this season for displaying his passion on the sideline during an eventual loss to the Detroit Lions, which taped audio later showed Bryant was talking positively. While, on the flip-side, in the same breath, they applaud the Patriots’ Tom Brady’s temper tantrums and tirades after an interception or touchdown as well as Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel’s brash bravado.

We,understand, that there is an obvious double-standard being displayed here. However, Sherman, oddly, walks in the footsteps of legendary trash-talkers like Muhammad Ali, who went toe-to-toe with his critics like the legendary Howard Cosell, who was known for using the phrase “my little monkey,”Deion Sanders, who tossed a water cooler over the head Tim McCarver after the Braves Game 7 win, Floyd Mayweather, who cursed out the infamous boxing commentator Larry Merchant live on HBO after a bout with Victor Ortiz, when he slashed out against ESPN’s First Take Skip Bayless in May 2013, when he stated:
“I believe my numbers speak for themselves," Sherman told Stephen A.Smith. "My tape speaks for itself. My tape is my resume. That is what I leave it up to. You can say whatever you want. Skip can say whatever he wants. But Skip, whenever you refer to me, whenever you speak to me, whenever you address me, address me as 'All-Pro Stanford graduate' because those are some accomplishments you'll never -- you can aspire to, you'll never accomplish."



With this past exchange with Bayless, how can people be so shocked by Sherman’s post game interview after winning the NFC Championship game against the 49ers? Honestly, Sherman’s post game interview was more Vince McMahon’s WWE than Roger Goddell’s NFL?

In other words, what did Sherman actually do that was so appalling that he has to apologize to the world for? Seriously, where is the controversy in this story? Are we discussing trash-talking? his lack of politeness? Or, his loudness?
Hell, as far as trash-talking is concern, Michael Jordan was a notorious trash-talker. Do you remember that iconic dunk over NY Knicks' Patrick Ewing at Madison Square Garden during the 1991 NBA Playoffs, which Jordan stood over him and taunted the slayed 7-foot-giant? And, as far as, Sherman’s animated choking sign, we have seen that before as well. Have we forgotten about Indiana Pacers’Reggie Miller's 25 point 4th quarter choke sign to Spike Lee?
With that said, the real controversy in the story involving Seattle’s Richard Sherman's passion filled post game interview, in my opinion, has little do with his in your face-play, but more to do with Fox Sport’s frail and seemingly frighten, no-talented beauty-queen Erin Andrews, who seemingly, at first, felt as if Sherman's words were directed towards her instead of Michael Crabtree.
This, however, isn’t Andrew’s first time being a part of a controversial interview. Because, she was also involved in a 50 cent interview in which the rapper tried to kiss her live on camera while she was covering the Daytona 500 in Florida.

Therefore, I think white America ‘subconsciously” went into attack mode to protect their little princess with the microphone, whom they felt had been falsely attacked and disrespected by the big, Black, dread-headed, “uneducated” football player.
Let’s not forget, this interview incident involving Sherman came only weeks after Florida State’s Jameis Winston, who was cleared of all charges of sexually assault of a white female, was criticized by Dee Dee McCarron, the mother of Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron, of being illiterate after Winston led the Seminoles to victory over Auburn for the BSC National Championship, when she tweeted, but quickly deleted,Am I listening to English?” “We champions,” Winston said. “We can share that. We are champions together. And through everything that we went through. Through all the haters. Through every single thing, we came out victorious. God did this. I’m so blessed. He’s so blessed. All the stuff that he handled with Ethan (Fisher, the coach’s son) and he come out here and coach us? That touched me. And it’s nobody but God. It’s nobody.”

As a result, when you add one plus two, we get the extreme backlash of white people referring to Sherman as a thug, even though he is far from that, and doesn’t live up to the stereotype formulated in the heads of many.

Matter of fact,  with those facts, Richard Sherman should keep talking-sh*$ as long as he can back it up on the field during the game. Why? Because even Grammy-award winning singer Beyonce’ doesn’t mind talking-a little-trash. She, in fact, made it self-evident in her some what controversial song “Bow Down,” which she sings:

I know when you were little girls You dreamt of being in my world Don’t forget it, don’t forget it Respect that, bow down b*%$ I took some time to live my life But don’t think I’m just his little wife Don’t get it twisted, get it twisted This my sh*#, bow down b*&%$
 
After reading that, Sherman must not let this incident change him or knock him off of his square. He, in fact, must continue his in your face play while not letting “white” America destroy his mojo like they did Chad “OchoCinco.” Truthfully, if the Seattle Seahawks defeat the Denver Broncos in the their quest to win the Super Bowl, after the game is over during the press conference, I suggest Sherman recite the poem E-GO Trippin by Nikki Giovanni, which reads:
I was born in the congo
I walked to the fertile crescent and built the sphinx
I designed a pyramid so tough that a star that only glows every one hundred years
falls into the center giving divine perfect light I am bad

I sat on the throne drinking nectar with allah
I got hot and sent an ice age to europe to cool my thirst
My oldest daughter is nefertiti the tears from my birth pains created the nile

I am a beautiful woman
I gazed on the forest and burned out the sahara desert with a packet of goat's meat and a change of clothes I crossed it in two hours I am a gazelle so swift so swift you can't catch me

For a birthday present when he was three I gave my son hannibal an elephant
He gave me rome for mother's day
My strength flows ever on
My son noah built new/ark and I stood proudly at the helm as we sailed on a soft summer day

I turned myself into myself and was jesus men intone my loving name
All praises
All praises

I am the one who would save I sowed diamonds in my back yard
My bowels deliver uranium the filings from my fingernails are semi-precious jewels
On a trip north I caught a cold and blew
My nose giving oil to the arab world
I am so hip even my errors are correct I sailed west to reach east and had to round off the earth as I went
The hair from my head thinned and gold was laid across three continents
I am so perfect so divine so ethereal so surreal I cannot be comprehended except by my permission
I mean...I...can fly like a bird in the sky...
Now, that would make “white”America really mad!!

Eric D.Graham, a graduate of Winston-Salem State University, where he received a B.A. in Mass Communication with a concentration in Radio and Television and a minor in History, with an emphasis in African-American Studies, is currently the Managing Editor of Black Athlete Sports Network, where his articles appear daily along with his controversial cartoon character Bobbee Bee “The Hater.” Graham can be reached at lbiass34@yahoo.com