Tuesday, July 12, 2022

BOBBEE BEE: TEST OF TIME: PORTER LIVING IN HIS TRUTH

TEST OF TIME: PORTER LIVING IN HIS TRUTH by e.graham 

National HIV Testing Day (NHTD) was first observed on June 27, 1995. This is a day to encourage people to get tested for HIV, know their status, and get linked to care and treatment.

The theme for 2022, “HIV Testing is Self-care,” is timely, given that self-care has been a particularly important topic during the COVID-19 pandemic. It’s also timely as the need for individual and community actions to promote physical and mental health remain critical. 

So, why is this relevant? Because, actor Billy Porter, who stated he was sexually molested by his stepfather from the age of 7 to 12; at least twice a week over a five-year period, before coming out at 16 in the middle of the AIDS crisis, has been living secretly with HIV for 14 years before finally living in his truth. 

The 52-year-old Tony-winning actor, whose role as Lola, an indefatigable drag performer whose broken heel helps mend a broken wing for a foundering shoe-maker, played by Stark Sands, in the Cyndi Lauper-scored Broadway musical Kinky Boots said the narrative of the musical, which dealt with forgiveness, allowed him eight times a week for three years to forgive his own father, as well as his stepfather on stage for their past transgressions. 

Unfortunately, Porter's childhood traumas continued to haunt him in June 2007, when he was diagnosed with HIV, which he hid because didn't want to embarrass his mother, who had been persecuted by her church community because of his past "queerness." 

"I have lived with that shame in silence for 14 years. HIV-positive, where I come from, growing up in the Pentecostal church with a very religious family, is God’s punishment." Porter, who has been in psychotherapy since he was 25 years old told the Hollywood Reporter. 

Even though from the outside looking in, the talented singer's HIV status was obvious from his Red carpet appearance at the 2022 BET Awards last night, in which he wore a Rick Owens Sweater with lifted shoulders & skirt, Porter's decision to get tested may have added years onto his life.

 "I am the statistic, but I’ve transcended it. This is what HIV-positive looks like now. I’m going to die from something else before I die from that. My T-cell levels are twice yours because of this medication. I go to the doctor now — as a Black, 51-year-old man, I go to the doctor every three months. That doesn’t happen in my community. We don’t trust doctors. But I go to the doctor, and I know what’s going on in my body. I’m the healthiest I’ve been in my entire life." (Source:HR) (DM)